Which Fraxel Skin Lasers should I choose?
In winter 2018, after long hesitation, I decided to try a Laser Skin Treatment with the Fraxel Re:store Dual (1927nm) laser. This laser is called dual, because two different wavelengths can be used.
- The Fraxel Original Skin Rejuvenation (1550 nm) against wrinkles and impure skin
- The Fraxel Pigment Spot Treatment (1927 nm) against pigmentation spots
I decided to go for the more skin-friendly Fraxel mono treatment against pigment spots with a wavelength of 1927 nm.
Wie does the Fraxel Re:store Skin Laser Treatment work?
The treatment is considered gentle on the skin because microscopically small holes are shot into the skin. The remaining skin areas remain untreated and ensure a rapid healing process of the skin. The treating physician propagated the Fraxel laser therapy as the method of choice against melasma. She said that through one session I could expect an improvement in pigmentation of about 50%. Besides she also showed me many before and after pictures of her former patients.
Laser Skin Treatment: My Personal Story
Laser treatment: Day 0
As promised, the treatment was almost painless thanks to a local anaesthetic cream and supplied cold air. Afterwards the whole face was cooled with cool packs for about half an hour.
With a creamed, bright red face I headed home, because at home I had to cool my skin with cool packs for another hour as soon as possible. The redness of my face quickly receded over the next few hours.
Laser treatment: Day 1
- On the skin you could see small dots of the puncture marks, otherwise the skin looked as always.
- After 24 hours I was allowed to leave the house again with sun protection 50+, which I did.
Laser treatment: Day 2 and Day 3
- During these two days my whole skin was partly detached in shreds and underneath a fresh, beautiful skin came to light.
- I was instructed not to interfere during this time and not to rub off the shreds of skin.
Laser treatment: Day 4 to Day 6
Now I was socially acceptable again and the skin didn’t peel anymore. I had a flawless skin without pigment spots. I was in good spirits and was very happy about my great skin! Of course I paid a lot of attention to good sun protection and avoided the direct sun.
Laser treatment: Day 7 to 1 Month later
Disillusionment spread, because my pigment spots had disappeared completely at first. Just as quickly as my spots had disappeared, they returned.
Conclusion Skin Laser Treatment
- No improvement: According to the doctor, the final result of the Fraxel Re:store Dual (1927nm) treatment is visible after 3 months. The promised 50% improvement of my pigment spots didn’t occur, so I won’t do any additional expensive treatments.
- Very expensive laser face treatment: It cost me about 2000 €.
- Consistent sun protection: Since the laser treatment I attach great importance to sun protection. I apply La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra-Light Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 once a day in winter and several times a day in summer.
Laser Skin Treatment: Does it make sense for melasma?
Each of us knows that pigment spots can be treated with laser, but the question is:
⚡ Lasertherapy & Melasma – Does it make sense?
⚡ Here you can find out everything about the right sun protection for melasma.