What is azelaic acid?
Azelaic acid is a prescription pharmaceutical active ingredient that is used in creams and gels in concentrations of 15% and 20%. Azelaic acid in concentrations above 10% is prescription only. It has a normalising effect on the disturbed cornification process and an antibacterial effect. All other informations on the effects of azelaic acid refers exclusively to skin creams prescribed by a doctor.
Why does azelaic acid lighten the skin?
Azelaic acid inhibits the melanocytes (pigment-forming cells), which can lead to a slight lightening of the skin during long-term use
Which skin problems does azelaic acid help against?
Azelaic acid helps against pigment spots (skin-lightening effect), acne and rosacea.
How long does azelaic acid treatment take?
Azelaic acid is often used for several weeks to months until an improvement occurs. If there’s no skin irritation, azelaic acid can also be used in the long term.
How is azelaic acid used?
The cream is applied to the entire face once a day after cleansing with 15% to 20% active ingredient.
When can the first results be expected?
After 2-4 weeks of therapy first results can be expected.
What are the side effects?
- Skin irritations are particularly likely at the beginning of the treatment as the skin becomes more sensitive. It’s important not to combine azelaic acid with other skin treatments such as fruit acid peelings.
- Burning, pain and itching can occur in more than every 10th patient.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should only use azelaic acid with caution, as the study situation is still insufficient.
🔥 Severe side effects, such as allergic reactions or the worsening of existing asthma diseases, rarely occur.
Where can I buy products containing azelaic acid? 🛒
👉 (Amazon.com) Paula’s Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster – without doctor’s prescription
- Active ingredients: 10% azelaic acid, 0.5% salicylic acid
- Without perfume
- Note: do not use if aspirin intolerant.
Which products with a high concentration of azelaic acid are available ? 🛒
👉 (Canadcloudpharmacy.com) Finacea (Azelaic Acid) Gel 15%– 15% azelaic acid – on doctor’s prescription
👉 (Amazon4health.com) Skinoren Cream Azelaic Acid 20% Bayer – 20% azelaic acid -on doctor’s prescription