My Tips – Laser Treatment with Melasma
- Dermatological Diagnosis: Go to a dermatologist and have him assess the pigment depth of your melasma using a Wood lamp. Depending on the depth of your melasma, the dermatologist can tell you if laser therapy would make any sense.
- Laser treatments always require several treatments. So ask specifically how many treatments are necessary in your case and at which intervals. Think also about the days off , which are very likely to result from each laser treatment.
- How much does the entire treatment cost? Laser treatments by a doctor are expensive, so make sure you know the cost in advance!
- Darker skin types IV to VI: In melasma patients with darker skin colour, the laser procedure has to be chosen with great care, as it can also lead to deterioration.
- High sun protection: With a melasma you should pay attention to a very high sun protection at any time of the year especially after a laser therapy.
Attention: High Relapse Rate in Laser Treatment of Melasma Patients!
Still no Patent Recipe against Melasma
The study results are contradictory to the physical methods. On the one hand, additional therapy with the QS-Nd:YAG laser or intensively pulsed light proved to be more effective than hydroquinone therapy alone. On the other hand, undesired effects (skin irritation, rebound hyperpigmentation) occurred more frequently. Overall, according to the summary of the American experts, the laser and light procedures at best have a status as third-line therapy. Due to the high recurrence rate after laser application, the German Dermatological Laser Society considers melasma to be only “conditionally treatable”, in contrast to other hyperpigmentations (e.g. after inflammation) or age spots (lentigo senilis or solaris).Source: Deutsche Apotheker Zeitung
Melasma: A Deep Dive into the Cause & Treatment
von der AMA – American Medical Aesthetics
Summary of the Video
- Laser treatment destroys the molecular structure of melanin. In the following 3 to 4 weeks after the treatment, the altered melanin is recognized as a foreign body by the immune cells and transported away.
- Overactive melanocytes are regulated: Not only the melanin is altered, but also the melanocytes that produce melanin are influenced by the response of the immune system. The exact mechanism by which the overactive melanocytes are stimulated to produce less melanin is still unknown.
- Different lasers: The correct laser with a high affinity for melanin varies from person to person and must first be found individually.
- Which laser is the right one? Through experience with 85 000 laser treatments, the AMA team already has some clues which lasers are promising in which person. However, sometimes test spots need to be treated to find the right laser, or a combination of multiple lasers must be used.Usually
- 4 to 8 laser treatments are necessary
15 Different Lasers with a High Affinity for Melanin
The AMA (American Medical Aestethics) recommends treatment with the following 5 laser frequencies and 3 different laser pulse lengths, which results in a selection of 15 different lasers.